Monday, May 24, 2010

Two in One..

"Even when poetry has a meaning, as it usually has, it may be inadvisable to draw it out... Perfect understanding will sometimes almost extinguish pleasure."
~ A. E. Housman

"Everything one invents is true, you may be perfectly sure of that. Poetry is as precise as geometry." ~ Gustave Flaubert

"Genuine poetry can communicate before it is understood."
~ T. S. Eliot
######################################


Tonight was another Poetry Club meeting night.. I have to tell you.. I had been busy today and though I hadn't forgotten.. I was running out of time and my mind was not liking the assigned theme very much.. I wanted to kick myself since I had been the idiot that had made up the theme last meeting.. I had been lenient though and decided that the style length and pretty much everything about the poem be up to the writer.. for instance.. it could be a poem about headlines in general or a headline in particular.. you could use words from a headline.. sounds simple doesn't it?.. my mind was blank..


Then I thought about the Word Beads Game I would go over there and use their words to play around and try to set up some sentences with them.. I would get my mind on something else for a little while.. then go back to the Headlines assignment for tonight's meeting.. we weren't graded and no one would care if you came to a meeting without a poem.. but so far I haven't.. I have had the assigned poem and at least one more every meeting... I wasn't going to be happy if I couldn't come up with anything for tonight...


Word Beads always has interesting words to challenge us.. Today was no different.. I liked the words and as I sat and read them over something began to form in my mind.. I decided to combine the clubs assignment and the word beads.. what I came up with has become a two for one poem.. One poem answering two different challenges.. I hope you enjoy my Poem.. the other members clapped and clapped.. sometimes though I think they would do that even if your words were awful... They are way to kind... Please feel free to comment.. Have a wonderful night!
Patsy



#####################################################################


Headlines


No joy or happiness I find
as I stand before the rack..

But death and despair both are there
Bold in white and black..

She was a mathematician
her favorite word was phi

They captured and they killed her
just to see her die...

Drugs and gangs and streets at war
fill each and every page..

As far away and here at home
a righteous war we wage..

Wishes denied a dark trespasser
that hides behind a mask..

Till desire for what the others have
becomes our urgent task..

In a nanosecond I would fly
till I was far away..

In hopes to find a better place
safe to work and play..

A place where no hatred grew
where everyone was free..

Can you imagine just what on earth
our headlines then would be..

Written By: Patricia Sawyer
5-24-2010

No comments: