Tuesday, November 10, 2009

No.. I am not Suffering from Writers Block....

"I think writer's block is simply the dread that you are going to write something horrible. But as a writer, I believe that if you sit down at the keys long enough, sooner or later something will come out." ~ Roy Blount Jr.

"The only cure for writer's block is insomnia." ~Merit Antares

“Writer's block is the greatest side effect of boredom”~ Jason Zebehazy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It appears that there is a rumor going around that I am suffering from the dreaded terrible ailment that has been known to attack writers... writers block.... Let me thank you for your concern and your very lovely flood of emails.. thanks also for the titles and the word lists and all the wonderful prompts that I have been gifted with this week.. I will eventually make poems or stories from your word lists and will even post them here... I am perfectly fine and am not suffering from writers block... I reckon it could erupt from the sky and cover me in a black and mindless void at any second..( I don't really think that!).. but so far it has never held me in it's grasp.. there have been times when I didn't want to write anything and to have forced myself would have made me write something weird..or even weirder than normal..and there have been times..like this past week.. when I was completely wrapped up in something else that I wanted to get finished up with.. If I am suffering from anything this week it would be extreme wrist weariness and multi-childhood-memory overload...Let me explain...

I am known for my love of photo's.. I adore them.. I love to get them in e-mail and I will hoard them on my computer and make scrapbook pages for my family and my friends of their great memories.. I have a huge stack of binders and when the children come to see me they will search for the binder that they might have a new page in.. I never know when the urge will strike me so I have always kept all of my pictures on my computer.. I should have learned a lesson when my first one bit the dust.. and I really should have known better after the second and third ones followed.... but I am me.. I never learned and not to long ago I got up one fine morning to another disaster.. I had been working on a photo project most of the year.. I had arranged and re- focused and cropped and flipped and straightened photo's for a whole year.. I had the entire project ready to be burned to video disks for my family for Christmas gifts.. I had also done them for my children and stepchildren... I was just waiting to get the disks.. I hate shopping.. I would have bought the blank disks when I did my yearly Christmas shopping trek next week.. and then with the blink and the flicker of a motherboard croaking all my work was gone... Many many many many.. did I even say many?? of my photo's were made with my own digital camera and are now and apparently forever gone away..

But.. Y'all knew I had a but didn't you?.. I have family who wants my gift.. They have pulled out old Photo's and new photo's and wedding photo's and children photo's and more and more and more photo's... and for the last week and a half I have relived every one's memories..weddings and birthdays.. Easters and Christmases.. and so many Halloweens.. Daddy and Davey surrounded by a million fish from the Mississippi river and Mama when she was 16 riding her bike.. I am going to be 50 in two weeks.. I am her seventh child.. that picture goes way way back..

As I look at the pictures and scan them and crop some and straighten others.. I get a sense of what life must have been like for them.. I see happiness and sometimes deep sadness in their eyes.. I feel the tingle that goes with the toss of a wedding bouquet and the shiver of fear when first holding your newborn child..From my oldest brother to my baby sister I have redone them all in just over a week.. I have spent long hours scanning and looking and searching through stacks and stacks of Photo's... I still have myself and my children to do.. we won't be hard.. I already know what pictures I want of each child and grandchild.. I will finish the project by the end of this week... I won't have some of the photo's that I wanted in there.. but I will have others that other people have allowed me to borrow and scan.. and thanks to Dave and Emily I won't have to worry about losing them again... this time Dave went out and bought me a flash drive just for my photo's and Emily showed me how to set it up and make separate folders for each of my siblings and my crowd of "children"...

No.. I am not suffering from writers block.. I am not sick.. I am tired if that counts?? I might have memory overload but I am thinking that a writer never has too many memories even if they are borrowed from someone else..... I have included an Etheree about the dreaded ailment known to afflict almost every writer at some point in time.... Writer's Block!
Have a great day!
Patsy


Writer's Block
I 
Upon
You stumbled
In my Path way.
A block stopping my
Pen from forming fine words.
Creativity bound tight.
No thoughts Appearing on Paper.
I rest Atop your grayness and sing.
I then write a poem to you; Writer's Block.

Written By: Patricia Sawyer
3-19-2008

2 comments:

Sunshine said...

I am sure your family will love your gift. Thanks for this list of blogs. I will check some of them out.

Unknown said...

your gifts to your family is a great idea. i have thought of doing something like that for mine as well. cept i think i am going to make digital scrapbook that they can load into one of those digital frames. have a great day patsy...hugz!