Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Flowers

"People from a planet without flowers would think we must be mad with joy the whole time to have such things about us."
- Iris Murdoch

"The mind I love must have wild places, a tangled orchard where dark damsons drop in the heavy grass, an overgrown little wood, the chance of a snake or two, a pool that nobody's fathomed the depth of, and paths threaded with flowers planted by the mind."
- Katherine Mansfield

"Flowers always make people better, happier, and more helpful; they are sunshine, food, and medicine to the soul."
- Luther Burbank

"Why always, 'not yet'? Do flowers in spring say, 'not yet'?"
- George Norman Douglas

"Wildflowers don't care where they grow."
- Dolly Parton


On this day in 1513, Ponce de Leon discovered Florida. The name ~ Florida~ means "full of flowers" in Spanish. April 8th that year was Easter, which in Spanish is "Pascua Florida" or the "Flowering of Passover." Although we have had several cold nights with breezy cold days it is once again Easter time and the first flowers of Spring are blooming. I have red, white and pink azalea's bursting forth with bright blooms. I have what we call Bridal wreath blooming out by the ditch and just this morning I saw a clump of the tiny white bells I call Easter bells blooming beneath the sticks of a Hydrangea. The beautiful red birds were out in force today each trying his hardest to steal a bite of corn or even laying mash from the clucking hens. Their bright feathers just reminded me even more of the Easter Sundays past. I always wanted a red Easter dress. Grandma Morris was dead set against it. She said ; "You let that child have a red dress and she will become a fast woman!" I was eight. I didn't want to become a fast woman. I was still hoping to become a boy so I could shoot and fish with the men. I didn't expect I'd get a red dress after her declaration But I hoped and prayed they wouldn't make me wear something that looked like a powder puff. Was I ever surprised when I got a beautiful Navy blue dress with a long body and - an almost ruffle like- skirt with tiny pleats at the bottom. It also had a pretty, white jacket and a RED neck tie. Grandma Morris made it. I always wanted to ask her why she made it with Red, but I wasn't about to look a gift horse in the mouth. Besides. I knew if I asked She would make me set on the steps to think about the answer. I loved that dress.

When we got to Sunday school that morning all the girls were wrapped in layers of pink and pale yellow or lavender fluff and lace. I was so glad I didn't look like a powder puff. I remember a few of the girls said how much they liked my dress. One girl cried all through class because her tiny white Bonnet was so tight that her head hurt. Mama had brushed my hair till she had all the tangles out ( even those that would hide under my neck when she sent me to brush it myself!) and had put red barrettes in my hair one on each side. I didn't look like a pale flower blossom.
If I was a flower that year I was surely a wild flower.

I love flowers. I try my best to plant at least one new flower each year. I will plant a few that only last for one year but I really rather plant something that will grow and come back each year and hopefully will one day be able to be divided with a friend. I also plant a lot of seeds every year including wild flowers.

I was all set to plant a few things last week.. Something, although I don't quiet know what caused me to decide to wait. I only planted collard plans and dipper gourd seeds out near the chicken pens. I had other plants but decide to wait to plant them this week. I am glad I did since we had frost on the ground this morning. I will be planting seeds of many kinds Friday. It's supposed to bring good crops to plant on Good Friday. You can depend on it though that I will also be planting flowers.. For even though the body has to have food to survive, Flowers feed the eye with beauty and the heart with gladness. The world seems to be a little short on those lately.
Today I will share a little poem that I hope you enjoy. Please do your part to add beauty to our world. You can grow a single flower in a tin can sitting on your front step and add a little spot of color to the life of you and your neighbor. Leave the label on the can.. Get a gallon can even.. A gallon ketchup can with a patio tomato growing in it would be a great conversation starter.. If you can't grow a flower then at least notice the ones you come in contact with daily. Enjoy their beauty. Breath deeply of their wonderful scent. Have a great day!
Patsy


Easter Flowers

I:
Sitting carefully on the
tiny wooden Church chairs
each of you appear to be
a pale and delicate blossom.
Or a stiff and straight stem.

II:
Eggs in bright colors
nestle in the new green leaves.
Neon pink and lemon yellow blooms
their hiding places beneath the trees.
One Lavender with lime dots.

III:
Pony tails tied with colorful ribbons
Ball caps Bouncing as you run from place to place.
So excited as you spot one egg.
Never seeing the three resting on the watering can.
Old sand buckets find a new use today.

IV:
The tousled heads rest
atop snowy pillows.
Sunday school frills hung away.
Bright Eggs hidden and found.
Ball caps hung; Pony tails down.

V:
The Flowers of my Easter
Lay sleeping; peaceful and free
with the smears of egg yolk
and chocolate bunnies
across their rosy cherub cheeks.

written By: Patricia Sawyer
4-8-2009

5 comments:

Ron Andrew O'Daniels said...

I thoroughly enjoy your writing style. You take me to a nice place. I'm going to subscribe.

Big Time said...

Happy Easter Patsy!!!

Reuben

Camella Black said...

Patsy, I am sorry that I did not use the Easter Poem, Frank and I got sick, I let things slide and Easter was suddenly here.

I loved it though; it brought such wonderful memories of Easter's past.

Today was fun, I look forward to next year already, and you looked good sitting on the porch with the old folks!

Pblacksaw said...

Ron~ I am glad you stopped by.. I hope you continue to visit!

Big time~ Happy Easter to you too.. We missed you at Mama's today.

Clare~ I ain't worried about that.. I love when someone gives me a list to write from and your lists always take me for a stroll down memory lane. I had a good time today I am glad I decided to come.. I told myself I wasn't going..lol..

~I am blessed to have so many good friends!
Patsy

Sunshine said...

Happy Easter Patsy! When the flowers start blooming I really begin to smile!