Saturday, November 22, 2008

A Long Lazy but Crazy day!

"Dogs are better than human beings because they know but do not tell."
~Emily Dickinson

“Dogs are wise. They crawl away into a quiet corner and lick their wounds and do not rejoin the world until they are whole once more.”
~ Agatha Christie


"I have a dog and sometimes I'll be the littlest kid with my dog and marvel at his ears and his nose and how he looks at me. If he died, I'd bawl like a baby."
~Aaron Eckhart



Today has been a long, Long Day so far. We found our faithful Dog Buddy who we have missed and searched for this entire week. Sadly we no longer have Him with us. But he was old and coughed a lot. We had really been expecting that he might not survive another winter. We will miss him though. We buried him with His ball that he loved to fetch but wanted you to fight him for. We were surprised to find him dead because we are also missing our newest Dog Bella who is a full blooded Beagle Puppy. We really thought Buddy had gone after some dog sugar from a neighbors girl dog and that Bella had followed him. Buddy thought he was a Casanova and would often go off for a day or so at the time. Coming home to sleep for a few days and eat like a hog. Now we are at a loss as to what has happened to Bella. Dave thinks she has been dog napped. Since Coco is still here I am about ready to agree with Dave. I did walk up to the neighbors who live across the ditch and have a fenced in back yard just to peek and make sure Bella hadn't by accident got herself "stuck" in their back yard . I didn't find Bella but I bet ya I about needed to run home and change my underwear when a huge brown, with one green eye, Bull dog reared up on the fence and Barked right in my face. It scared me for almost long enough for me to need clean clothes. I love animals but Bull dogs everywhere? They have bull dogs chained in about four or five different spots over there behind the bushes and their fence. I hope Bella wasn't a snack. The dogs looked fat and healthy though they did all seem like they would have loved to be off their chains. I bet I don't look over their fence again! Please don't consider this post to be a requests for animals. We aren't replacing either of the missing ones right now. Coco is running herself ragged trying to guard the entire seven acres at once. She always was hyper-active but now is even more so. If you have a dog, give him a pay on the head and a scratch on his back tonight. Thank him for being your lifelong friend. Have a wonderful Day!
Patsy


Buddy

Buddy my friend
you came to my house
unwanted by me. Loved
by our Man, and Dragged in
by the little girl that our man
just Couldn't tell NO! So many
times I have returned home
UN-afraid because I knew you
took good care of your duties
as guard to your "people".
So many times I
have carried you with me
to keep me safe as I went
about doing my jobs as Mom
even when those jobs came
after dark. I was never afraid
when you and your growl
rode shotgun. I have watched
you run for a ball even when
they hid it and just made you
run for the fun of it. I have seen
you turn cartwheels for the same
ball bounced just out of your reach.
No wonder you made them fight you
for the ball every time you did bring it
close enough for them to get a grip on it.
I would have done the same. So many dogs
have come and gone since you came here as
Just a flea bitten bundle of skinny bones.
Some say that animals don't have a heaven
But I think if they do, You are surely there!
I will miss you Buddy!

Written BY: Patricia Sawyer
11-24-2008

5 comments:

Big Time said...

I am sad to hear about Buddy. I know you will miss him greatly. Some dogs can never be replaced. Have a Happy Thanksgiving! I love you. Reuben.

Pblacksaw said...

Thank you. Buddy was here a long long time. People will find it strange that Dave and I only have one dog right now.. We are staying around the house for Thanksgiving. Cooking some resting more! Come eat if you are in these parts of the woods. I lOve you!
Patsy

Sunshine said...

Patsy, I truly hope you will find Bella. I know you will miss your sweet Buddy. I must tell you that I recently got a beagle puppy myself and he is wonderful! You won't believe this, but try...if I had gotten a girl puppy, her name was going to be Bella too. That is amazing. Kind of scary that we always seem to connect. Happy Thanksgiving! Eat lots and rest lots!

Anonymous said...

Hey Patsy,
I am sorry to hear about Buddy. We lost Brandy a couple of weeks ago. Even though I claim not to be a dog lover, I found myself standing there in tears when I woke Andy up and tried to tell him that I had found her in our driveway. It was such a touching moment as I looked out the window and watched Andy kneel down beside her grave and say goodbye to her. And reading your poem about Buddy made me think about how special Brandy was. She always loved us and protected us. We will miss her greatly.
Love,
Mott

Pblacksaw said...

Mott,
I knew you loved Brandy. You're really an all around lover like me.. we try so hard to hide that. We love plants and animals and even people that don't even recognize love. And we frown and say I hate cats or I hate dogs.. when we know full well it isn't in us to hate. I love you!
Patsy