Saturday, November 8, 2008

Etheree Who?

"Poetry is plucking at the heartstrings, and making music with them." ~Dennis Gabor

"Poetry is truth in its Sunday clothes." ~ Joseph Roux


How to write your own Etheree! ~An etheree is a ten-lined poem whose structure is based on the number of syllables in each line. The first line has one syllable, the second line has two, etcetera, until you reach the tenth line with ten syllables. ~ What do I want this etheree to be about? ~Think of your longer words related to your topic. They will be much more difficult than coming up with your shorter lines. ~Write each line carefully, making sure to count your syllables. If they are not the right quantity, it is not an etheree. ~ Read it through a few times to make sure it makes sense. ~Title it!


When I first started back to writing every day, I decided to learn as much as I could about different forms of poetry. I was amazed at how many different forms there are. Even now I learn of new forms almost every day. I get e-mailed prompts that will tell me what type I am to write each day.. Of course as usual for me I signed up for every prompt I could find so I will be getting way more than I could possibly write each day! But it does give me lots of choices!

One form that I had never heard of but liked right away was the Etheree. The first time I was trying to write one I got a phone call right in the middle of it and when I told my friend I was writing an Etheree she said, "Etheree who?" I laughed because it does almost sound like a woman's name. Today's poems are all Etheree. They are much harder to write than you would think. Extra syllabels will sneak up on you if you don't count them closely. I hope you all enjoy these poems of mine today. Have a great day!!
Patsy


Etheree Who?

Who?
Not Who.
Etheree?
Yes, Etheree!
A poetry form.
Are you sure? She's Foreign?
What country is she from then?
No Not foreign. A poem Type.
Oh I can't type either. She can type?
I'll call you back when Etheree leaves then!

written BY: Patricia Sawyer
11-8-2008

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh Happy day!

How
Many
words does one
Person need to
say Goodbye to you?
The soul mate who has strayed.
No Begging allowed you see.
Just goodbye and you leave us four.
Like the years never touched your heart.
I bid a stranger goodbye this happy day.

written By: Patricia Sawyer
10-28-2008
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Gypsy Camp

Brass
bells ring
along swamps
shadowy edge.
Children running free;
flutes echoing laughter;
cimmerian eyed beauty
hips swaying to an earthy beat.
Simple suppers roast over fire.
Welcoming the despised plebeians home.

an Etheree
Written By: Patricia Sawyer
11-4-2008

3 comments:

Big Time said...

You know you made me count each syllable to see if you were right on your count. Of course, I always hated that part of English class so, I may not have been counting them right. Either way you caught my interest and that is what writers are supposed to do so, good work. Love you! Reuben.

Sunshine said...

Mind boggling today. It is fun to learn something new! Can't wait for the next lesson.

Pblacksaw said...

Big time~ I count as I think sorta. then I change the order of things if I have too. I also have a on-line syllable counter that has the fianl word in how many there are..because for the etheree class I took if the count was off even a little off You had to do it over. I Love YOU!

Sunshine~ I was mind boggled at how many different forms of poetry there are. Many times I get a prompt for something I have never heard of.. I like to try to write for them all though..

Thanks for dropping by and reading my stuff!
Patsy